Sunday, March 27, 2011

New Sweetness and {What's Up With That Yarn?!}

Greetings fans!
I hope you all had a wonderful weekend! Here are more ah-dorable photos from Photography by Jessica Rivera I wanted to share:

This next little sweetie's hat was a custom order! Her mom wanted something that was "for a girl, but not too girly". So I came up with this and isn't she the cutest thing you've ever seen?! I just adore this photo by Jen Lavazza Photography:



___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is a blurb I wrote as a note on facebook about the yarn I use. Just some FYI for those of you that were interested! I know a lot of people weren't sure what the difference was between handspun yarn and yarn you buy at Hobby Lobby, so I decided to clear it up a bit! Here is the post and it's also available on my facebook page.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello all!
I thought since I get a lot of questions about it, I would write a little blurb on my yarns for those of you that are interested. It's quite a process, but here we go!

First here is a short vocabulary lesson (welcome back to grade school!):
~handspun: refers to the yarn and that it is literally spun by hand
~OOAK: means one of a kind; these hats will never be duplicated exactly

The yarn starts out as wool (usually what I use) or some other fiber. After the animal is sheered, it's packed up and it comes in big blocks. From there, it is divided into rovings by the person who will be dying it (not me, I'm not that talented!). When it is divided up, the person then dyes it. This is quite a process from what I understand! Here's a web site to check out if you're interested in learning more:  http://gfwsheep.com/dyeing/dyeing.html .  So when that person is all done here's what the dyed rovings look like:
Photo of dyed rovings.

The next step is to spin the wool into yarn which is done with one of these:

I know it looks ancient, but I promise it's what they use... or something close!

After that, you have this:

Handspun yarn when it comes to me.

From there, I make it into this:

Two hats made from handspun yarn.

Note that the two hats above are made from the same ball of yarn, but that they don't look exactly the same. Due to the hand dyed and hand spun nature of the yarns I use for hats like this, they cannot be exactly replicated! That is why they're called OOAK (one of a kind). I have limited amounts of each color, and when it's gone, it's gone! 

Several of my items are made from commercially produced yarns which means I can make them over and over again and in lots of different sizes... always a good thing too! Here's an example of some of my items like that:


I hope this helps!

<3, Lisa
Tri-Bec Creations

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment